The Danish Twin Study established that genes determine 10% of the length of time a person lives and the other 90% is lifestyle. So, if we can find the optimal lifestyle, we can come up with a formula for longevity. The average American could not tell you, their plan. And any plan that you don’t have is a plan to fail. You have heard of the South Beach Diet, the Atkins Diet, the Governmental Food Pyramid. You may have watched Dr. Oz, Martha Stewart or Opra. They tell us a lot of information but create a lot of confusion about what helps us live longer. In this class I will be going over the plan that has been 1000’s of years in the making not the one that is popular today. If you want to know the plan, be there!
So now I want to take a moment to set the stage and remind you The Human Body is an amazing collection of synergistic parts controlled by what can only be described as an innate (you did not have to learn how to digest food) intelligence. The body is designed to be totally self-functioning and self- healing. We tend to think of healing when we suffer a cut on our arm or have broken a bone, but healing is a constant process of replacing old cells with new cells. For example, red blood cells are replaced at a rate of about 100 billion a day, with one trillion total red blood cells in constant circulation. The body is constantly analyzing what is happening within the body and what is happening in the environment outside the body and makes adaptive changes as necessary. Aging can best be defined as the gradual loss of the body’s ability to respond to the environment. Aging, per se, is not just the effects of chronological time, but also the abnormal stress we place on our body, which gradually breaks it down. This is caused by several things including inactivity, chemical pollution and neurological and postural stress.
GOOD NEWS! The nervous system plays a central role in lifespan determination, and you are here getting your nervous system checked today. Recent studies have provided evidence that, indeed the brain controls lifespan. Signaling pathways involved in both central nervous system and peripheral stress responses to the outside world and regulation of energy metabolism play important roles in lifespan determination.
The brain also controls the hormone systems strongly implicated in aging. The hypothalamic-pituitary system has a strong influence on lifespan. A consistent feature of environmental and genetic factors that increase longevity is that they increase cellular resistance to stress. So, it is not what happens to you it is how you respond to what happens to you. That is why it is more important to have a properly functioning nervous system than anything else. The brain coordinates the responses of the whole body to such stressors on both rapid and long-term time scales by regulating the activities of hormonal pathways (involving the hypothalamus and pituitary gland) and the autonomic nervous system. However, M.P. Mattson in Aging Research Reviews found the brain also controls maximum lifespan by its ability to stimulate signaling pathways that increase the resistance of cells to stress. So, when your brain can communicate with your body optimally you are better able to resist stress. In fact, Dr. Hans Seyle, Nobel Laureate, and the father of stress research stated, “the beginning of the disease process begins with postural distortions”. That is why Dr. Lee Hadley of Syracuse Memorial Hospital reported in his article “Anatomical & Roentgenographic Studies of The Spine” that “Subluxation alone is a rational reason for Chiropractic care throughout a lifetime from birth”
So, the next time you are feeling older then you are, get your spine checked. The next time you are under stress, be sure to get your spine checked. Do your home exercises. Make your appointments. Get your family checked so you can grow young together! I believe in you and the amazing power to heal that God put in your body! Never give up on the plan. If you don’t know it, be at the Health Experience Class.